The Ashlar Company - Masonic Shop
For the good of the craft...
We will beat any competitors price by 5%.
How to buy a gift for a Freemason
So you want get a gift for a friend or loved one who is a mason but you yourself are not a mason... If YOU are a mason, you can skip this page as you probably have the situation under control, the only advice we have for brothers giving gifts to other brothers is - get their ring size right!!!.
General Master Mason Gifts
Buying a gift for a mason but not being a mason yourself can actually be kind of challenging. If someone told you exactly what they want, even that can still be challenging. Please do not hesitate to call us for advice. 1-800-357-6502. If you are looking for something on the safe side that EVERY mason can use (in the sense that it does not bear emblems that do not apply to them) then we recommend the following items -
- Hats that simply say mason or have a square and compass on them. Even if he doesn't normally wear a hat, sometimes we like to wear them at large public event as it helps us run into other brothers.
- Keychains that just have a square and compass or just say mason (mason and freemason are interchangeable terms). Avoid keychains that say "Past Master" unless you know they are a past master. A few of the keychains are texas specific, common sense will guide you with that.
- For the most part, you can't really go wrong with a antique replica masonic postcards and artwork. If they don't like them, we'll do an exchange for them.
- Cufflinks - again, stick to the square and compass models unless you know exactly what it is your ordering.
- Money Clips - Most guys already have a wallet they like but most guys also from time to time like to stick with a lower profile money clip, they are almost mostly made of metal and will last a lot longer.
- Neckties are low cost and most lodges require a tie for many events. Again, avoid anything other than ties with a square and compass on it unless you know what you are looking for specifically.
- Tie Bars - Sometimes we have to wear a tie even when it's not for the fraternal events. Tie bars are nice subtle "I'm a brother" gift that won't break the bank.
It might seem like a good idea but unless they asked for one OR they are new mason, we pretty much all already have lapel pins. A lot of lapel pins. It's just a thing.
If you want to get a novel gift, go with a square and compass MAGNET car emblem. They are hard to find (we sell them, and we make them ourselves) and are great for guys that travel a lot and want to throw on a rental car.
We have some pretty awesome stuff in our collection and we have some room to move on pricing for some of the items (particularly coins because they vary in condition). If you want to spend $50-$100 on something more than two centuries old and that a lot of masons REALLY like, give a buzz and we can tell you about some of the antiques.
You didn't wait until the last minute!
Congratulations, almost everyone needs it "This weekend". We know our stuff and the variation of quality across different items. Call us if you have time for made-to-order (gold and silver) tie tacs, money clips and a few other custom items. Bear in mind, these are on the more expensive side of things.
I need it for this weekend!!!
Definitely CALL US. 1-800-357-6502. We ship out 2-3 times a week, if we don't know that you need something for a certain date, you might not get it by that date. We will overnight things upon request but 99% of the time it's not worth the cost.
Unless you have an exact model number and know that is what they want, don't buy aprons or scottish rite items. There are some that look REALLY similar and are easy to confuse. Again, call us about this.
We can definitely help you out in finding a good gift. 1-800-357-6502
What not to do...
Be careful about buying masonic rings as gifts, it's often something deeply personal to the wearer and there are a lot of choices for custom symbols on each ring. Not knowing what they are can lead to a ring not suitable for a brother who is not in that particular sub-organization to wear. Sometimes your friend or loved one will tell you a specific model they want, that is usually best, just don't forget to find out their ring size. Otherwise, a gift certificate is the way to go.
Remember, if you don't see the Ashlar "A", it's not authentic.
By Brothers, For Brothers & always For the good of the craft...
© 2023 Ashlar Group, LLC